North Santa Fe Apartments is a transit-friendly, affordable family housing development in the heart of Vista’s revitalized urban downtown village. It is conveniently located across the street from the Vista Transit Station in an area designated as a North County SANDAG Smart Growth zone. Creating a pedestrian friendly development that creates connections to the adjacent village and transit centers was a priority for the developer. The site design was deeply influenced by the historic Santa Fe Railroad that ran through the site from 1887 till 1946. The site plan itself resembles a long, narrow train. This theme is repeated in architectural elements, interior design and the art which is integrated into the landscape elements. A central hub of the development is the community center and adjacent outdoor area which creates comfortable areas for meeting, grilling and relaxing. The train play structure and custom designed trellis are focal points of this active area.
Special features within the project consist of:
- landscaped bio-retention areas and permeable pavement that catch and treat stormwater before it enters the public storm drainage system
- native and drought resistant landscape that is vibrant and exciting
- custom wood trellis structures
- shade trees to provide vertical interest and cool the existing urban nature of the site
- integrated art elements with local artist
- street trees to offset the heat island effect and add pedestrian scale to the building
*work completed while at Ivy Landscape Architects, Inc.