Iowa Street Housing is a mixed-use development in the heart of the diverse urban neighborhood of North Park, San Diego. The development brings together 120 units of affordable senior housing with a lively commercial center on the first floor. Designed with the active senior in mind, the landscape blends larger interactive courtyards with more intimate detailed corridors. Within the urban setting of the project, amenities were concentrated in two central courtyards on the third floor that create areas for gathering, grilling and resident gardening. The design carefully arranged raised planting areas to create apartment unit privacy while still encouraging an active central core, including placement of the unique art elements created by local artist, Nina Karavasiles. Great care was taken with the planting design to provide shade with large trees located throughout the courtyards and vine covered trellis structures specifically designed to reflect the architecture of the building.
Special features within the project consist of:
- custom wood and metal trellis structures
- intimate seating areas
- large communal areas with gas grills for gathering
- variety of shrubs and groundcovers to provide an interesting mix of textures that are easy to maintain and conserve water
- garden area available for residents to plant
- shade trees to provide vertical interest and cool the existing urban nature of the site
- integrated art elements with local artist
- creative streetscape planting to provide visual interest to pedestrians
- street trees to offset the heat island effect and add pedestrian scale to the building
- integrated stormwater management within the planting areas to treat all stormwater onsite before it enters the public storm drainage system
*work completed while at Ivy Landscape Architects, Inc.